1. The XIV “Paços’ Premium” International Music Competition – 2021, which will cover the categories of Accordion, Violin, Flute and Clarinet, will take place from the 9th to the 18th of July 2021, at the Paços de Brandão (Portugal) Music Academy Auditorium. The competition is geared to students in various levels of specialized artistic musical education: beginners, elementary, secondary and advanced.
2. This competition is held annually.
3. The goals of this competition include fostering the study of music, promoting learning exchanges among students from various schools and nationalities, encouraging students to achieve new levels of performance, and developing a taste for classical music.
4. The Competition’s Organizing Committee comprises the AMPB’s String, Wind and Keyboard Departments, under the artistic direction of Teacher Alexandra Trindade.
Conditions for Participation
1. The Registration Form, completed online, must be submitted between 3rd May and 24th June 2021, via the AMPB website: www.acadmusicapb.com and e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. No registrations shall be accepted beyond said date.
2. Applicants must also send a (sharp) photo and a photocopy of the Identity Card or Citizen’s Card.
3. A copy of solo music scores and one copy of the piano part (whenever accompanied) in digital format shall be submitted with the registration form to e-mail email@example.com
4. Registration fees shall be as follows:
Categories A and B – 65.00€
Categories C and D –50.00€
Categories E, F and G – 40.00€
Academy members get 20% off. Payment can be made via bank transfer to the following IBAN: PT 50 0018 211305591321020 95 (It is mandatory to send proof of payment). In the event of withdrawal from the competition, this amount is non-refundable.
5. The given program may not be changed after the application is sent in.
6. Each student must present the repertorie in the step they are proposing.
7. The candidate’s age is considered as of 31 December 2020.
8. Participants shall be introduced in alphabetical order, within the level in which they are competing.
9. In each level, the first 15 (fifteen) registrations will be admited, except in level A, where only the first 8 (eight) registrations will be accepted.
10. Every public performance shall take place at the Dr. Arménio Carvalho Auditorium on the AMPB premises. The public will have to attend each performance in its entirety, and shall not be able to leave or enter during each one of them.
11. The repertoire of the final performance will have to be different from that pertaining to the elimination round.
12. The performance schedule and timetable shall be abided by, as previously stipulated, where of candidates shall be made aware, via electronic mail until 48 hours before the beginning of the performances.
13. Candidates will all be allowed to rehearse at the place where elimination round and single performances are to be given, and at a time to be set by the competition’s organizing committee.
14. Candidates shall provide their own Accompanying Pianist (despite not shouldering any responsibility, the Academy may provide contacts of possible accompanying pianists).
15. Winners (1st Prize Winners) from previous competitions may enter only in higher age categories.
16. No private audio or video recordings of elimination round, final and single performances shall be allowed, as the Competition’s Organizing Committee shall reserve all such rights for dissemination purposes and for an indefinite period.
17. Participants shall be solely responsible for expenses for personal travel and accommodation.
18. The organization is not responsible for the non-use of original scores.
19. The Academy can provide a list of music stores where foreign applicants can get Portuguese composers pieces, if applicable and these are their choice.
20. When candidate formalizes her application, authorize/grant the use of your data to publicize and promote the Competition, to the extent necessary.
21. The Winner’s Concert will be recorded and broadcast live on the Youtube and Facebook channel of the Paços de Brandão Music Academy.
22. If it’s not possible to carry out the Competition in person, it will be held in an online format with the appropriate adaptations depending on the epidemiological status of the country.
23. It shall be incumbent on the Competition’s Organizing Committee to resolve issues not included in these rules.
Panel of Judges
1. The panel of judges shall comprise 3 members and chaired by AMPB teacher of instrument in the Competition.
2. For the attribution of the Excellence and Orchestra Prize, the jury will be constituted by the Educational Direction of AMPB (Teachers Alexandra Trindade and Joana Anacleto), a representative of the AMPB Administrative Direction and the Artistic Director or representative of Paços de Brandão International Music Festival.
3. The panel of judges reserves the right to interrupt the performance of each candidate, if said panel deems it appropriate.
4. The panel of judges reserves the right not to award any prize.
5. Decisions by the panel of judges shall be final.
6. In exceptional cases where the candidate is a student of one of the members of the panel of judges, such panel member shall be ruled out of that same candidate’s evaluation.
1. Elimination round, final and single performances shall be given on 9th and 10th of July – Accordion; on 11th and 12th July – Violin; on 13th and 14th of July – Flute; on 15th and 16th of July – Clarinet.
2. The publication of the videos, instead of “Paços’ Premium Opening Concert 2021”, shall be given by the winning candidates of Category B of the XIII Edition of the Contest, in 2019.
3. The Winners’ Concert shall be held on 18 of July, at 4 p.m., at the Dr. Arménio Carvalho Auditorium of Paços de Brandão Music Academy.
1. There are 3 prizes per category (first, second and third prizes), along with honorable mentions and certificates of participation; no ex-aequo prize shall be awarded in any category.
1st prize – 1100.00€ + Recital in one of the Museums of the Municipality of Santa Maria da Feira + Trophy
2nd prize – 300.00€ + Trophy
3rd prize – 200.00€ + Trophy
1st prize – 450.00€ + Participation in the Opening Concert of the Paços’ Premium 2022 + Trophy
2nd prize – 250.00€ + Trophy
3rd prize – 150.00€ + Trophy
1st prize – 200.00€ + Trophy
2nd prize – 100.00€ + Trophy
3rd prize – 50.00€ + Trophy
1st prize – Certificate + Trophy + Masterclass in Accordion, Violin, Flute and Clarinet at the 21th Further Training Courses of Music at AMPB
2nd prize – Certificate + Trophy
3rd prize – Certificate + Trophy
Category E, F e G
1st prize – Certificate + Trophy
2nd prize – Certificate + Trophy
3rd prize – Certificate + Trophy
2. Revelation Prize: the panel of jugdes shall select the candidates in each instrument the competition; winners will be invited to take part in the International Music Day Concert, on October 1, 2021, at the AMPB Auditorium.
3. Excellence Prize: at the end of the Winner’s Concert, the committee comprising the Educational Direction of AMPB, a representative of the AMPB Administrative Direction and the Artistic Director or representative of Paços de Brandão International Music Festival will select the candidate that most stood out during said Concert, who shall be invited to participate in the 44th Paços de Brandão International Music Festival in 2022.
4. Orchestra Prize: also at the end of the Winner’s Concert, the commission referred to in point 3, will select the best category A laureate who will receive the Orquestra Prize, performing in the 2021/2022 season of the Orchestra Youth Symphony of Santa Maria da Feira.
5. Certificate of participation for every candidates.
6. The official awards ceremony shall take place at the Winner’s Concert, where all winning candidates shall undertake to be present. Should a winning candidates not be on hand at this ceremony, (s)he shall not be awarded the corresponding prize.
Members of the Panel of Judges:
AMPB Teacher of Instrument in the Competition [Chairman]
Aníbal Freire [Accordion]
Vitor Monteiro [Accordion]
Rui Fernandes [Violin]
Suzanna Lidegran [Violin]
Paulo Barros [Flute]
Stephanie Wagner [Flute]
Horácio Ferreira [Clarinet]
Nuno Pinto [Clarinet]